For Aron: What About Space Habitation?

>> Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Aron asked: What do the cards say about space habitation? Will we become spacefaring?

Aron, I have no trouble doing a reading on this, but, before I pull a single card, I have to tell you that I'm absolutely certain that, someday, humans will be spacefarers, will live and walk on planets and ships far from the Earth - as long as we don't destroy ourselves in the meantime. But I don't expect that to happen.

Still, you didn't ask me; you asked the cards. So, let's see what they have to say about space habitation. I'm going to pull three cards to ask if we are on the right path, what we can do to further it and what the final result will be.

Our path - Coins V - This card talks about labor and intelligence to achieve a goal, using hard work and common sense. However, it also speaks of adversity and lack of means, support and help denied. Clearly, the lack of sufficient resources will make the work necessary to achieve our goals just that much harder.

What we can do - I The Magician - Imagination, cunning, creativity, carrying something through to completion - these are all key elements to the Magician, a card of self-mastery, self-confidence and initiative. But there is another element that might be important, here: that touch of inspiration and manipulation that can garner the support, perhaps, we are currently lacking.

Final outcome - XIII Death (reversed) - Clearly, the cards are less optimistic than I am. In the reversed position, this card speaks of stagnation and preoccupation with the past, rather than the forward movement so desperately needed.

Given that rather bleak projection, I'll pull one more card to see if there is any hope for the future of space habitation: III The Empress (reversed) - unfortunately, it is more of the same: indecision, inaction and delays.

The cards don't seem hopeful. Let's see if we can change the path and build a different future.

3 comments:

  • Boris Legradic
     

    When you say other planets, do you mean planets in other solar systems?

    The more I learn about physics (and, to a much, much more limited degree, economics), the less optimistic I become about humans ever achieving interstellar flight. Probes, maybe. But actual generation-ships (or cryo-storage)? Doubtful, very doubtful.

    Here I am assuming that FTL travel is impossible, which unfortunately is not a very far-fetched assumption...

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I really meant other celestial bodies (Moon, Mars, etc), Boris. Outside the solar system - well, we'll definitely need a far more advanced technology than we have today to make that a practical reality.

    I'm on the fence about FTL travel. I'm not willing to believe it's impossible - I don't think we REALLY know enough about the way things are to definitively preclude it - but I don't assume it's possible either - there's some pretty compelling evidence that argues against it. For me, the jury's still out.

  • Aron Sora
     

    It makes sense, seeing how the space community is fighting it self...at this rate, we won't get much done.

    If this guy, Greg Meholic, is right, we should get FTL

    http://www.thespaceshow.com/detail.asp?q=1212

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations