Quadmama asked: Blog pages?

>> Sunday, September 27, 2009


Quadmama asked: How do I add a "page" to my blog... for instance a disclosure policy or other info that I want people to read but don't want the entire thing right on my home page?

I can't answer this readily. Truth is, html isn't my strong suit. However, I'll tell you what I did as an html idiot and hope that one of my many computer savvy readers will pop in with more details if it doesn't answer your question.

I use blogspot and it's pretty uncomplicated. It's got a standard form and, to make a "page" I put in a post with a forced date earlier than my earliest post so it went to the "beginning". Then, I just have to put a link up in the setup. I'd love to tell you how I did that here, but I had someone build my website and she put in a button for me. I don't think it would be hard to do, but I haven't done it so I don't have the specifics.

Bottom line, "page" is just a post. It's the link to it that makes it useful. If that doesn't help, I'll hit up one of my knowledgeable buds and hopefully they can get you more steps.

7 comments:

  • flit
     

    Seems to me you've covered it pretty well... backdate a page, then link to it.

    Also seems to me that blogger could make it easier/more intuitive if they were at all inclined

  • Kathy
     

    I can't really help with Blogspot, but WordPress has the Add a Page feature. Well, I should say the editor I use for WordPress has it. It's called Windows Live Writer. It looks a lot like MS-Word. When I open it, I can choose "New Post" or "New Page" among other things. When I choose New Page,the page gets its own tab at the top of my blog.

    I'm thinking of getting rid of my "Feed Me" page and replacing it with one for advertisers, since I'm thinking about opening up Junk Drawer for advertising outside of BlogHer.

  • JD at I Do Things
     

    Ditto what Kathy said. Wordpress makes it easy to add a page, or tab. I know how to do it in raw html, if that's what Quadmama uses, which I'm rather doubting.

  • Patricia Rockwell
     

    My sense is that Blogger doesn't make it easier intentionally because they want you to have a "blog" not a complete website with separate pages. Just an observation.

  • Quadmama
     

    Based on your tips I created a backdated post... seems like the only way to do it. Oh well!

  • The Mother
     

    Obviously, the platform you use to blog is very important.

    On Wordpress, there's an option right in the sidebar to create a new page. You do have to set the link up from the homepage, though.

  • Jeff King
     

    I'll look into it, but i think what you have done is the only way...

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations