>> Tuesday, September 1, 2009
OK, I know I have some more questions and I'm still going to do that, but I'm going to digress for today. Today, it's because I've got a request. I also am doing something new - putting this on both blogs.
See, here's the thing. I have a fairly large backlog of short stories I've written, almost all in the fantasy, science fiction or, in one case, I don't know what to call it. I'd like to market some of these, get some visibility, some interest going, perhaps even some money. And the short stories are already written.
So, what's the problem? Well, I wrote most of these years ago and, though I like them, I'm not objective about them. Many are overtly feminist and violent - I was young. Most are exercises in swift character building, effective description, surprise endings. Many are old ideas I wanted to play with. And I have too many of them to effectively try to market them all at one time. I'm just not that organized.
What I need are objective eyes to look at some of these short stories (or all of them) and tell me (a) which ones are just too immature to be publishable (or that there's not enough there for publishing), (b) which ones seem publishable and, (c) of the publishable ones, which ones do you like best or think are the best bet for getting a publisher's attention.
So, I'm asking you all, would any of you be interested in reading all or some of the short stories? You don't have to read them all, but I do want to know what you think about whatever you read.
I know most of you are quite busy. I know you all have lives. It isn't a short turnaround situation, because I'll be going back over these (given that many of them haven't been touched in years or longer). But I could use some help if any of you could spare it. Do note that all of the sword and sorcery include violence.
- Charley - Story about a teddy bear
- Time of Change - Science fiction exploring the notion of parallel universes (going at different time scales or directions).
- Captain of the Guard - Sword and Sorcery playing off the Phoenix legend Graphic violence
- Backseat Driver - Science Fiction - AI
- Dark of Night - Dark Fantasy - Graphic violence
- Seeds of Tomorrow - Fantasy
- Windmaster - followup to my favorite Windrider - Fantasy
- Tryst on the Balcony - my only foray into vampires
- King of Swords - first of the Tarot Queen stories - Fantasy
- Intemperate Sword - Sword and Sorcery - crude humor
- Stormmistress - Fantasy
- Precipice - Fantasy (mermaid)
- Castles of Sand - Fantasy
- Masks - Fantasy
- Echo - Fantasy
Update: Check here to read stories. Let me know, though, so I know how long to keep the webpage up.