For Jeff King: Do you Hunt?

>> Wednesday, September 2, 2009


Jeff King asked: Do you like to hunt? If so what kinds of animals do you like hunting? Or are you anti hunting?

Not a hunter. I don't know if I'm anti-hunting, in principle; I recognize that most hunting done now is actually required to keep populations down. I also acknowledge that dying by gunshot is far more humane than starving to death.

But it doesn't interest me.

I feel there's a difference between living in the wild and being killed and being raised for food and being slaughtered, but I can't give you a hard and fast reason. I am a carnivore and it could be as simple as that I haven't run into any wild food that appealed to me.

The other reason is even more selfish. the concept holds zero appeal. Dragging my butt out of bed in the wee hours of the morning, when it's cold and miserable to wander out into the wilderness (and the wilderness around here crawls/flies with biting nasties) to spend all day doing nothing but waiting for prey to show up to be plugged. I'm getting bored just thinking about it. The same applies to fishing and sunbathing.

I'm not a fan of the outdoors or sitting still without mental stimulation. And I'm not short of hobbies, between needlework, writing, learning, etc.

In fact, the only thing I'm generally hunting down are my children to figure out what they did with my phone.

3 comments:

  • Jeff King
     

    nice...
    i love going out to do nothing but sit around a campfire and talking, the weekend seems like a week. Compared to 1 day it seems like normally, plus it makes coming home sweet and you don't take things for granted...

    But killing animals is probably the 4th reason why i like to hunt.
    Family, friends and a good time, far out way killing an animal. i have lost my desire to actually kill anymore, but i take my son out so he can have the life changing exp with me that i had with my father...
    But glad to know, to each their own i say.

    thx for responding...

  • Roy
     

    I hunted as a kid. But then we hunted to supplement the larder. From what I understand from most of the people I know who hunt now, they're not going out for food, they're going out just as an excuse to shoot something. I don't understand that mentality.

  • The Mother
     

    Hubby and children hunt. I don't. I don't mind eating meat, but I'm sufficiently advanced culturally that I can buy that stuff in a supermarket, after someone ELSE kills it.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations