Jeff King: What's Your Favorite Sport?

>> Saturday, August 29, 2009


Jeff King asked: do you like sports? If so what is your fav?

If you're asking about watching sports, I don't have one. I don't watch sports, although I used to watch football with my father and I used to watch things like ice skating or gymnastic competitions. I managed to marry two husbands in a row that didn't watch sports and I took advantage of their lack of preoccupation by not watching football any more. I stopped watching the only sports I really enjoyed watching because they were judged so subjectively that it began to bother me. It seemed to be more about the judges preconceptions then what really happened on the ice rink or the balance beam. It shouldn't, in my opinion, be any more than what happens during the event.

However, I don't like playing any of those sports. In fact, the more I enjoy a sport, the less I want to watch a competition. Back when my knees weren't effectively shot, I used to enjoy playing volleyball a great deal (which may even be part of why my knees are completely crappy now. I did a lot of diving for balls with no or low quality kneepads). I do like to swim, but I don't like too much sun or chlorine.

However, the "sport" I've enjoyed most frequently and that I've gotten the most strengthening and joy out of are easily martial arts. Now I know you can't tell by looking at me, but I have a knack for it and I've dabbled in judo, tai kwon do, aikido, hapkido and karate. They each have strengths and I'd like to go back and do more when I get more time and money - since my husband and some of my kids would likely enjoy that as well.

By the way, although I don't watch martial arts competition, I do like movies with good martial arts choreography.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations