Jeff King: Dream Job

>> Friday, August 28, 2009



Jeff King asked: if you could pick your dream job, what would it be?

Paid novelist.

There are the practical reasons. I can hang around at home with my kids and choose my own hours (which works because I'm a serious night owl). Vacation and time off are at my own discretion.

But the real reason is that I would get to paid to do what I'm going to do anyway: tell stories. It's what I've always wanted to do and always will. It's what I make many sacrifices to slice out time to do now, because I need to write. Of course, if I was paid, I'd have to spend more time promoting books and worrying about the market and suchnot, which isn't my bailiwick. And I might lose that absolute autonomy I have now of writing what I want and (and only that) instead of what might sell better.

But it's what I'd like to do profession-wise more than anything.

6 comments:

  • Jeff King
     

    same here, thats is what i will work towards the rest of my life. i just hope if a achieve my goal i still want it..

    thx for the time.

  • The Mother
     

    Me, too.

  • Phyl
     

    Aaaand I think we have consensus. I started out at age 11, writing novels just for my own entertainment. It didn't even occur to me for about 15 more years that I might try to get one of them published. And I've been attempting that ever since.

    (By the way, Stephanie, I don't think I thanked you for the Tsubasa links. I tried to see if maybe it was also available at OneManga.com, but they have Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and I'm not sure if it's the same thing. But it does sound good!)

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    It is NOT the same thing. They're out there new, just getting released, so it might take a while before they're out there electronically. I'll check to see if my daughter knows where it might be.

  • Phyl
     

    Aha! I wondered if it was just released as a collection and given a blanket name, or what. It's likely that if it's not at OneManga, then it's not being put up electronically, because they're usually right up to date. But I'll see it eventually, I'm sure.

  • Phyl
     

    Hey there, thanks for the link you left on my blog! I'm reading through the manga slowly right now, woo!

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations