I'm Thankful...

>> Friday, June 5, 2009


So, what to do with this blog when I run out of questions? I've been thinking. (It's what I do, sorry).

There a gillions [technical term] of blogs where people rant and vent. Nothing wrong with that and I'll likely do that once in a while, but it's more likely to be on Rocket Scientist rather than here. Instead, I thought I'd write a blog about something I'm grateful for. I mean, not only is extended self-pity obnoxious to be around, it's also self-perpetuating and, let's face it, there is always someone who has it worse. And I have a lot to be thankful for. For instance, my children.

I'm not talking about the fact that they're beautiful and talented and charming, though that's nice, too. I'm grateful because they are healthy and (mostly) happy [not Roxy at the moment because we just put her to bed, but usually].

My eldest is fourteen, sharp as a tack, up to her eyeballs in contrariness and gorgeous. She can draw, paint, sing, anything, really, she wants. Her first year was challenging. She had ear infections (never quite bad enough for tubes), pneumonia twice, once had one of my hairs caught around a toe so bad it turned purple and a tendency toward allergies. But she was speaking and talking by the end of the year. When she was five, she got shingles. (I've had them twice myself - Native American genes). But, you know, she's still mostly healthy. I've never had to deal with severe mental disorders or extended hospital stays. She's never broken a bone or contracted anything that wasn't minor, just a few stitches on one occasion.

My youngest daughter is fifteen months and has hardly had a cold. She's happy, alert, ahead of the game vocabulary- and coordination-wise. She's got a definite personality, has had an ear infection or any other signs of problems. And she's so sweet and smart.

Alex is five. He doesn't talk. He doesn't draw. He won't sit still for story books or do anything on command. He is cute and was and is one of the happiest healthiest children I've ever known. He is low maintenance preferring to eat finger foods you leave with him and let him eat alone. He has a heckuva a career ahead of him in demolition because, let me tell you, that boy is gifted. He isn't always easy to work with and, believe me, there were many dark days in the four years eleven months and two weeks where he refused to be potty trained. But, when he decided to do it, it was done instantly. And that's the thing. They have him classified in the "autistic spectrum" but the differences are as pointed as the similarities. He loves being hugged. He'll look you in your eyes. He has NO trouble reading or expressing emotion. He has the most gorgeous dimples ever (see picture). He'll shop all day happily (he loves it). Ditto for swimming or playing outside. He loves to go. Many of the things he's graded low on in his pre-school he can do just fine - he just won't do it when someone tells him to. I still think that may be part of the talking, too.

I don't know what the future holds, not for Alex, not for my girls. No one does.

But I wouldn't trade any of them for the most perfect responsive exceptional children in the world. They're perfect for me. I love them just the way they are and actually can wait to see what they become because I'm not in a rush to lose what I have now.

I'm lucky to have them in my life. And very very grateful.

7 comments:

  • Lola
     

    Your son is adorable.

    I can't believe people don't have more questions. Maybe it's because nice weather is started to call to (most of) us and take us outside away from our computers. I've noticed a drop in activity on all of the blogs I EC drop at.

  • Aron Sora
     

    IT so nice that you have the patience for that, I could never be a father.

    Ok, question, I developed a personal philosophy statement and I feel like it will lead me on the right path. But, I think it needs on update, any thoughts on my personal philosophy statement?

    http://danielcsims.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/personalphilosophy.pdf

    It tried promoting your site with twitter, lets see what it gets.

  • Patricia Rockwell
     

    Right! It's so easy to forget to enjoy our children while they are young. I know, as mine are now adults. There are joys at all ages, however. It's so nice to be able to actually have a conversation with my daughter now (as opposed to an argument). All those little annoyances eventually vanish and you remember how wonderful they are. Your little fellow is so cute.

  • The Mother
     

    Beware perfect children. There's always a neurosis hiding under there, somewhere.

    I'll take my infuriatingly imperfect kids anyday.

  • JD at I Do Things
     

    Alex is indeed gorgeous.

    My cousin has a son, also named Alex, who was diagnosed as being in the "autism spectrum" too. He doesn't much like to eat and prefers his special sign language to talking, but the kid is deadly smart when it comes to math, computers, numbers, anything like that. He's also healthy and happy and loving.

    A very refreshing post!

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    And there you have it. I know I'm lucky. I wouldn't trade them for anything on earth.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I feel the same way about my kiddos. And I hate it when people pick at them, telling me my daughter needs therapy because she likes eating or my son is too willful. My son is a little adult already. He's wanted to be an adult since he was born, and some day he will be a self-sufficient, happy one. He just needs the freedom to be allowed to make the good choices he's capable of making--without being pushed into them.

    Like you, I look forward to seeing what wonderful people they become, but right now I'm caught up in the wonderful people they already are. Amazing how kids help one live in the present moment. The past is gone, the future only a dream. What is real? NOW.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations