Meme from Books and Movies

>> Friday, April 24, 2009

I saw this meme on Books and Movies and decided to try it myself. I don't do a book blog, but I do love to read.

1. To mark your page you: use a bookmark, bend the page corner, leave the book open face down? Librarians would hate me, but I often dogear the cover. However, if I have something handy I can use as a book mark, I'll use that. I don't leave the book open face down unless I'm only leaving for a minute.

2. Do you lend your books? I used to lend them all the time (with some unfortunate results). I still loan books, but I'm pickier about whom I lend them to. Also, nothing gives me the yen to reread a favorite like loaning it to someone.

3. You find an interesting passage: you write in your book or NO WRITING IN BOOKS! I might write in a book that I was using for reference (or highlight). However, I don't write in books or fiction, pretty much ever. I might note the page (I love that my Sony eReader allows me to book mark favorite passages).

4. Dust jackets - leave it on or take it off? I like dustjackets but my children (1 and 5) are assiduous in hating them and take them off for me or tear them.

5. Hard cover, paperback, skip it and get the audio book?
I'll read or listen to a book in almost any form. I went to the trouble to find Georgette Heyer in hardback because I wore the books out. Books worn out, I'll try to find them in hardback.

6. Do you shelve your books by subject, author, or size and color of the book spines? Originally, I shelve in groups, usually by author, but over time it becomes a mess.

7. Buy it or borrow it from the library later?
I do both.

8. Do you put your name on your books - scribble your name in the cover, fancy bookplate, or stamp?
I only put my name on books I intend to loan out, scribbled on the title page, usually.

9. Most of the books you own are rare and out of print books or recent publications?
My tastes are eclectic, though I have few "expensive" books.

10. Page edges - deckled or straight?
I've never thought about it.

11. How many books do you read at one time?
Usually four or five.

12. Be honest, ever tear a page from a book?
Not that I can recall.

By the way, I'm going to be out of pocket for a week so flit is going to take over my Ask Me Anything duties. Some time the next couple of days, she'll tell you more about herself - for those of you who don't know her.

13 comments:

  • musingwoman
     

    Enjoyed reading your answers.

    I mark books to pieces, unless it's a rare edition or something.

    (Well, shoo, I was going to say more, but my son just called and I've got to get him from work)

  • Carrie K.
     

    Glad to find another multiple book-reader! Thanks for playing along - I enjoyed reading your answers.

  • Dorothy
     

    When I lend books I ask they write me a note inside the cover and I take a sheet of paper date and each of us sign and I keep it with my books and when it's returned I throw the sheet away. Usually it works and it's fun to read others ideas of my books. Since our blog reading has been neglected however someday when I don't have a day job I'll be back.

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

  • Aron Sora
     

    Shoot, what is that site...

    http://www.librarything.com/

    I think they have a tool to track your lent book, at the very least, you can add a tag. I'm sorry, I just remember the site when I read this post.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I NEVER, EVER dog ear pages anymore, or leave the book open. I am notorious for leaving bookmarks all over the place, too, so that wherever I am I can slip one into the book to keep my place. But I'll memorize the page number before I mar a page by dogearing it.

    Weird and anal, I know. So, where will you be over the next week?

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I haven't had a lent book issue since I was a teenager, really. But I lost whole sets of my favorite books as friends I loaned them to ran away or moved away, etc.

    Shakespeare, Lee hates it too. I personally think it's cool that my eReader has a digital dogear to designate a bookmark :)

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I was going to be visiting Lee's grandparents and my grandmother this weekend, but Lee has food poisoning.

  • Patricia Rockwell
     

    I used to throw out my paperback books (I would donate my hardbacks to my mother's library at her assisted living facility because the text is usually larger). However, I discovered www.bookcrossing.com and now, instead of throwing out a perfectly good paperback, I "release it into the wild" for a stranger to find.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I don't throw out paperbacks in good repair myself. I donate them to the local library (where they usually resell them for a quarter) or the like. I actually do that with hardbacks I don't intend to keep, but that doesn't come up often.

    When I say I've worn out a paperback, either the spine has disintegrated, making it come apart in chunks (and I've kept some in that condition for years) or I've worn right through the cover and often the endpages.

    Most of my treasured paperbacks have been treated with clear contact paper to give them longer life. I'm a SERIOUS rereader.

  • Marie
     

    I am so glad to come across this post!! I just started a second blog, www.theshorebookworm.blogspot.com, and this is a perfect meme to post. Stop by and chime in! I am hoping to make it very interactive with other bloggers and readers.

  • flit
     

    Hi Marie.... I've added you to my fiction & nonfiction blogroll on flit's Canadian fictionI'm thinking I should borrow this meme as well

  • JD at I Do Things
     

    I lend books all the time. Books are replaceable (unless they're signed 1st editions, which I don't own). Sometimes I get them back, sometimes not.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    JD, what a wonderful attitude. I don't know that I don't agree with you. I think it's more the fact that I think I own a book and then I can't find it. I've got dozens of second copies of books I keep for lending or because I replaced a book that I had, myself, misplaced. But I really don't mind lending; I'm just too absent-minded to track it well.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations