For Shakespeare: Making a Blog

>> Tuesday, April 7, 2009


Shakespeare asked: How do I start up my blog here, and what do I do with the old one once I've started this one?

This was pretty simple and straightforward.

First, up on the banner at the top of my blog, there should be a part that says, "Create Blog". Click it.

It will prompt you to either set up a profile with Google or, if you already have one, you can click the sign in link and there you go. If you don't, fill out the information and get one. It's easy. I had one because it makes commenting on many blogs so much easier.

Then, put in the name you want for the blog and a proposed name of the blog. Click the "check availability" until it tells you that blog is available. Then fill out the rest.

Click continue. Then pick a template. Most of these have different colors and styles, but I suspect most are customizable. I used "Minima Dark" for Rocket Science and this one. If you don't like the color, you can change it later. Some templates might prompt you for more information.

They have a starting guide.

Getting started on Blogger

If I remember correctly, you get a "congrats" page and your settings page. You can go right to posting or you customize. Places I'd start:

Settings. This is where you describe your blog and make choices, including descptions, settings, word verification, how you want to do comments (there are several options), but it's all pretty self-explanatory.

Layout helps you figure out what you want. I love this one. You can upload a new header (if your template has a customizable header) by clicking "edit" on the header. Ditto with the "About Me", "Blog Archive" or "Followers" widgets (which are standard at least on mine). To add a widget, click either of the "add a widget" and it takes you to google's huge list. Some of the best are on the front page. The Bloglist is fantastic, in my opinion, and you just have to provide URLs. It finds the names, etc. itself.

Then, when you have the elements you want, go to fonts and colors (still in layout) and update to suit yourself.

I suggest playing with it.

As to what to do with the old one? I'd leave a "follow me" blog and tell your friends where to find you.

I'm going to devote another blog to your second question. And I'm hoping others will chime in with their suggestions. That's one of the many cool things about this blog.

I'll also talk to some others about other template ideas in case you want to do something different than the options provided. I hope that helps.

9 comments:

  • Anonymous
     

    I've found, too, that once you've set up one blog, you've got a feel for setting up another one on a different platform. You may still have to fumble vaguely, but you've got a better feel for where you're fumbling.

    - Phyl

  • musingwoman
     

    You know, if The Bard could travel through time, he'd so have a blog. :)

  • flit
     

    It's really easy to get up and running on blogspot, I've found.

    and there are sites out there offering free blogger templates as well, if you prefer to go that route

  • Anonymous
     

    Social networking sites - If a couple is on 1 particular site, what do you think of 1 person in that couple not friending/following the other person in that couple? I don't think the other part of this couple is cheating, but there is definitely, at the very least, a feeling of being left out of the other's online life. The person who won't friend/follow has a lot of family members that friend/follow them, so the other if feeling a kind of disconnect, of being left out.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    OK, anonymous. I'll get to your question tomorrow.

  • Judy
     

    I really like Blogspot, but...I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a picture in the middle of my post--like in between paragraphs. When I try, it plops the picture up at the top.

  • Quadmama
     

    Stephanie, am I asking my question in the right section? No that's not my question... How identical are identical twins? Do they share the same blood type and fingerprints?

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    That's a great question, Quadmama. I'll add that to my list on Thursday.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    Judemiller, I'm sure there's a way, though I don't know off-hand what it it. You may have to edit html.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations