Another Update for Bob

>> Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Long long ago in an old post, Bob Johnson asked why we didn't just take pictures of the landing sites and "prove" we landed on the moon. I didn't know the answer per se but I did note that I saw little reason, even if we did have the pictures, to think anyone would be convinced.

I mean, if you don't believe the tracking by several different countries or the video or the unprecedented photographs unlike any ever taken before or the samples of soil older than anything ever found on earth or the actual people who wandered about up there, I fail to see how showing a photo of the landing site, no matter how convincing, would convince someone who was willing to ignore all the available proof.

But, in case I'm wrong:


This is good stuff. There's the LEM, the scientific hardware left behind and a neat little trail of footy prints. The truth is, it IS cool to be able to see the site of where we've been before. So, I'm glad they took it whether it convinces anyone or not.

And, if someone who felt there wasn't sufficient proof before was convinced by this, let me know. I'd like to understand the reasoning.

9 comments:

  • The Mother
     

    Won't be enough to convince the conspiracy theorists. Nothing ever is.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    That's my point. Sure, I absolutely believe that's a picture of an actual landing site, but I also believe there are several dozen kilos of lunar dust/rocks in building 37 and the video footage (newly restored!) and the tracking data...

    I mean, I was already convinced we'd gone. I just don't see how someone who is willing to discount the tons of available data is going to be convinced with a picture in our photo-shop friendly world.

  • JD at I Do Things
     

    On the topic of conspiracy theories, I have a question.

    What's your take on the whole Area 51 story?

    Do you think aliens really crashed in Roswell, NM?

    Is the government's party line that details are classified for security purposes a rational explanation -- or proof that something is DEFINITELY going on.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I have got some GREAT questions in my queue.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    Ooh, I want to know what you think about Roswell, too! I can't wait for that one!

  • Aron Sora
     

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  • Aron Sora
     

    Sorry typo

    I bet that if we send all the conspiracy theorists to the moon and give them a tour of the landing sites, they will won't believe us and they will think they are the first ones on the moon. They will say we put props on the moon or something like that.

    In fact, I have a conspiracy theory of my own. The moon hoax believes are only trying to tick NASA off enough to get a free ride to the moon. They hope to make NASA prove it, thus I have painted them as the most selfish people on Earth.

    I can use unlogical thinking too :)

  • flit
     

    I like your theory, Aron

    and I too am looking forward to the Roswell article(s)

  • Mike
     

    Thanks for sharing - I have been a firm believer in our space program and we were there.... I have enjoyed this 40th anniversary of Apollo 11 and have watched the TV specials and listened to the real-time audio feeds to relive this event. I think we need to return!

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations