Jeff King: Who Would You Like to Know Better?

>> Monday, September 7, 2009


Jeff King asked: If you had the opportunity to meet one person and get to know them over dinner, who would that person be...and why?

If you're asking about a current living celebrity, I might not be the right one to ask. As a general rule, celebrities don't interest me much. I like people, though. I'd like to meet some of the people I've met online like flit or JD or Peter Whimsy (on gather.com) or... the list is very long. I'd like to meet a few key people like President Obama or the Emperor of Japan (whose daughter is unlikely to inherit his throne now that he has a nephew).

But mostly I'd like to meet some of the people of the past I really admired, people who touched me or impressed me with their abilities, like Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Bronte, Wolfgang Mozart or (personal thing) Nelson Eddy. They're all dead, of course, and so it's all a moot point, but I'd love to have an evening with them, pick their brains, find out how they did it and what motivated them.

Call me crazy. After all, you won't be the first or last to do so.

6 comments:

  • Jeff King
     

    It’s perfect.

    Having to be alive shouldn't ruin a fantasy, so yea anyone the every existed works.

    George Washington or Ted Roosevelt or maybe even Isaac Newton either of those fine people would suit me just fine.

    Why stop there Jesus Christ would be awesome to meet, give a chair for the last supper and I wouldn’t complain.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I'd like to meet Buddha.

    And Christopher Columbus, just so I could knee him in the crotch. (Personal issue)...

    But mostly, I'd like to meet Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford, the real writer of Shakespeare's plays. That would be AWESOME!!!

    I can't say I know anybody alive I'd actually LOVE to meet. Weird.

  • The Mother
     

    I'd like to meet the original Peter Whimsey, too. Loved those books.

  • Patricia Rockwell
     

    I really would like to meet John Adams (particularly after seeing the wonderful HBO series of the same name).

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I have a question for you...

    What are your thoughts about past lives, about reincarnation. Does it exist, and what evidence is there that it might?

    Looking forward to your answer (and tired of Jeff hogging all the questions).

  • Lidian
     

    I would like to meet Emily Bronte too. And also Thackeray, Edison, Anthony Trollope and Ellen Ternan (I want to ask her about Dickens, whom I'd like to meet at another time)

    Oh, and several of my ancestors in 19th Century Brooklyn, who got into varying degrees of mischief.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations