Animé Break

>> Friday, July 3, 2009

I can't tell you how much I appreciate those of you who have coughed up questions (and a special wave for those of you who have inundated me with questions - I'll take 'em!).

I ought to field one today, but I spent all night last night and all of today watching two full anime series with my teenage daughter who was going to spend the weekend with her Dad.

My husband and daughter are huge fans of animé and my daughter is really big into mangas as well. Me, not so much. There's usually a lot of yelling and either too much drama, too much violence or truly insane humor.

But I've been pulled into a couple. First, there's Fruits Basket, a shojo manga/animé (see products at Amazon here. OK, it's a little sappy, I admit it. But I love it. Not only did I find the characters charming and compelling [I love Hatsuharu and Momiji and Yuki and Shigure and..], but I was blown away by much of the artwork in the manga. (I fell in love with the animé that my husband rented [Netflix]. When we checked out the manga from the library, I became captivated particularly by pictures here and there that just speak to me. I'm so impressed with this artist that I'm exploring her other work.) The last volume of the manga comes out next week and I'll have the whole set. Seriously.

Then, more recently, my daughter rented this other animé so we could see it with her. Again, I'm completely sucked in: The Ouron High School Host Club. A little more over the top, with less supernatural, but considerably funnier and still with the compelling and (professionally) charming characters. I frequently laugh at loud and I find myself dissecting characters etc. with my daughter. If you're doing that with an animated show, I think it's safe to say it got to you. I've read the first two mangas, but, so far, they don't speak to me like the animé has. (Amazon link)

So, tomorrow when I've come off my animé high (because, yes, I watch both full animé series). Tonight, I'm still reeling from the hilarity.

10 comments:

  • Lola
     

    I'm waiting for my son to move on to animé, but it doesn't look like he's interested.

    Hope you have a happy and safe 4th of July.

    Stop by Lin's Duck and Wheel With String to vote for me in her First Official Dork-Off Contest. Vote for my photo, because my kindergarten photo is THE dorkiest.

    http://duckandwheelwithstring.blogspot.com/2009/07/first-official-dork-off.html

    Thanks!
    Lola

    http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com/2009/07/tgif-vgno-andgo-vote-for-me.html

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    If he does move on to animé, he probably won't go shojo which, I believe, is aimed for teenaged girls. In both cases, these are often described as "reverse harems" with very pretty boys.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    Okay, so I didn't get the package off Friday... but I'm packing it up today, and will send it off Monday... then you'll have the dozen or so volumes of FRUITS BASKET back...

    I have found anime quite fascinating. I've always loved comic books... perhaps Crystal will take to them someday, too, and work harder on her drawing (not that she doesn't work hard on it now, since it's her favorite thing to do).

    I love artwork that tells a story. Perhaps that is why I still love children's books so much. It's too bad that so many adults think it's just a "cartoon."

  • The Mother
     

    I would rather pull my hair out, strand by strand, than watch the anime junk my kids watch.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    The Mother, my daughter watches/reads anime/manga like that. But that doesn't mean some of it can't touch you, can't be good. I love old movies, but, really, although the good ones are the ones we remember, there were some real stinkers, too. Seeing something I liked opened my own mind a bit.

    On the other hand, my daughter and husband both favor more character-driven stuff (like I do) as opposed to the all-fighting, all-screaming, all-robots all-the-time stuff. Given that you have nothing but boys, the kind of thing that appeals to someone like you might never cross your path.

    Yay, Shakespeare. The VERY LAST Fruits Basket manga comes out on Monday. I can read the whole set soon.

  • Lidian
     

    We have some anime/manga fans around here, too - Fruits Basket is a big favorite, and we caught the mid-90s Sailor Moon thing too. Actually some of the Sailor Moons are quite amusing.

  • sundcarrie
     

    I love anime! I am not so much into the sappy stuff most of the time but I did love the Japanese episodes of Card Captor Sakura and Tsubasa Chronicles. Other than that I like the darker and more violent stuff. Almost forgot Read or Die was pretty good.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I remember Card Captor though I'm not familiar with the Tsubasa Chronicles. My husband and I both liked Read or Die.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    My daughter used to be big into Sailor Moon, but it never quite wormed its way into my heart. She does watch a lot of the darker stuff, too. But I like FB and the lighter stuff.

  • Aron Sora
     

    @Lola

    I voted for you
    ---------------

    I never did watch much anime, I got into Naruto, but stopped watching when my school's whole anime club laughed at me. But, the fan base for animes is dedicated. Some of the cosplay that came out of that club was epic.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations