For Aron: Speed Droppers

>> Monday, June 29, 2009

For Aron: How do I slow down speed droppers. I'm offering free advertising on my blog and I've seen free advertising on other blogs and no one takes the offer. It's more free advertising for me, but still contests go unentered on this network and comments are rare, what do we do?

Wow, I wish I was better qualified to answer this. My following is limited, but what readers I have are the best. The best I can do (as I'm not a mover and shaker in the blogosphere) is tell you what I strive to do. And implore those readers of mine who are fantabulous and beloved by hundreds (JD and Kathy come to mind, for example, but there are others) to add to or correct my recommendations.

First, it's important to know what you're shooting for. Are you looking for conversation? An airing, perhaps, of different views? Or are you looking for traffic for advertising? What you're looking for is a factor in what you want to stress.

I, for example, want interaction with people, to connect with them via my blogs. I want to encourage people to think. I want to do so to the extent that they want to respond, interact so I can learn from them just as I share what I know. Traffic flowing through without that doesn't much interest me. There are no money-making bits on my blog so the traffic stats are irrelevant. I'd rather have twenty views and ten comments than 100 views and 2 comments. If you're looking for something different than that, my advice is probably something you should discard.
  • Be original. With the exception of my saturday quote-a-thons (which are original only in the way my brain groups them), I try to write something different than whatever else is out there. Oh, I'm sure it's not always as different as I like to think, but it is always my interpretation, my take on a particular subject, even if I'm writing my reaction to what someone else wrote. If I don't have some interesting take on the subject, I'd be better off just supplying a link.
  • Don't get stale. It's all well and good to write on the same subject every day, but you need to say something different. Repeating the same old arguments or position day after day won't get you anywhere - those who agree will still agree; those who refuse to won't change their mind by being beaten over the head.
  • Try to identify with your readers. If you're writing about your kids' antics, make sure you're talking about things that other parents can identify with, at least part of the time. I like to mix it up - sometimes funny, sometimes erudite, sometimes serious, sometimes playful, sometimes angry, sometimes educations, sometimes whimsical, sometimes fun. I like the idea that no one really know what they'll find if they stop by.
  • Respond to commenters. Someone's taken the time to respond to what you wrote. Acknowledging that not only thanks them for their trouble, but also can start an interesting dialog. The best bloggers interact back.
  • Stay calm. Don't get belligerant with those that might not agree with you. You can, of course, drum up more business that way, but getting too emotional shuts down minds and leads to hard feelings. (Okay, I strive for this but I don't always make it.) Remember you can't open someone's mind if yours is shut tight.
  • Read and comment on other blogs. You can't read or comment everywhere, of course, but find blogs you like, people you identify with and you might very well get some good readers out of the bargain.
  • Add humor. People love to laugh even if they don't necessarily agree with what you're saying.
OK, brilliant readers (and I know I have some), feel free to pipe up with your own ideas.

6 comments:

  • Dorothy
     

    Very nice blog, thanks for visiting ours. I'll be back.

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

  • Aron Sora
     

    That might be a problem for my blog. I'm a niche of a niche of a niche. (Science > Space > Space habitation). There are 4 others blogs I've found in this niche and 1 of them is even more specialized. There might only be so much I could talk about. I have a list of content that is fresh that will last for another 3 months and I'm always adding ideas to this list of post ideas, but how long could this last?

  • The Mother
     

    I'm no help. Stephanie already covered everything I have to offer, except something that is implicit in her blogs that she didn't mention--

    Stay true to yourself. If your blog is terribly scattered, you will never find your audience. Find your comfort zone, your message, your plan, and stay there.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    Aron, if you're too specialized and can't expand, be comfortable with a limited audience. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

    Aw, you're so sweet. I do think, despite the diversity, that my blog is, well, unmistakably mine. It helps I'm eclectic.

  • Phyl
     

    Aron, are you on Twitter? I've found that you can connect with sites that way that often post interesting information that you can turn into a blog post. And then you can tweet your own post there, and people notice it, and so on.

    As Stephanie says, it all really stems from relationships. Those take time to cultivate.

  • Aron Sora
     

    I'm on twitter and I have a very good group of followers. I've had some people from NASA talk to me and the NASA PR department retweeted by request for survey participants.

    I'm happy with my audience size now. I believe the space movement needs to marinate popular culture in the idea of space habitation. This will take time, alot of time. But, I'm not looking for the front page of digg for another 4 years. I have about 20 people who come every time I have a new post and 11 RSS readers.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations