Well, I'm Back

>> Saturday, May 2, 2009


I almost don't want to say anything, flit did such a good job, answering the kind of questions I'd have no idea how to answer.

But, with no less than four blogs of her own, she can't sub for me forever, despite the expertise she wielded masterfully. I think, though, she'd be happy to answer your questions if you wanted to check out any of her wonderful blogs:

Nontraditional Students R Us
Just Flitting
Scrooge's Dog Blog
Flitting
Flitting Through Canadian Fiction

She's like that, wonderfully helpful and responsive. I'm lucky she's my friend as well as my substitute. But, hey, she has a life and I'm back because this blog is part of my life.

But I don't currently have any questions.

So, I'm going to tell you a little something about the plans my Aunt Sue has. My Aunt Sue is great. She's been taking care of my grandparents for decades. My grandfather died a few years back of asbestosis and my grandmother is fighting her own lung problems (TB as a youth that permanently damaged her lungs), low blood pressure and a number of other problems that leave her effectively bedridden.

Sue, who works for IBM, and is a superlative amateur portrait photographer who took most of these lovely photos, takes care of my grandmother in a sweet but dated ranch-style house in Austin. It's a nice floorplan, except for a few key things. First the kitchen is a tiny galley type kitchen with low countertops and a row up head high cupboards that limit her interaction with my grandmother on the other side of the counter. My aunt Sue is 5' 11'. The cupboards and the paneling in the adjacent family room scream SEVENTIES in a Bee Gee's level screech. The in wall oven and refrigerator face each other with only three feet between them at a narrow doorway. The ceiling, for no apparent reason is dropped, adding to the cramped and dark feel. Meanwhile, through the narrow doorway is a unused dining room with a lovely front-facing window open to an equally unused living room, complete with my grandfather's gorgeous organ.

But Sue and visitors can't sit in the living room without my grandmother thinking Sue's gone, so that room is also not used.

Sue wants to lighten and uncramp her kitchen, add lighter (like maple) cabinets and a light solid surface countertop, soften the floor from the ceramic tiles, bring light into the room, remove some cabinets and get the most of her space. Lee and I recommended pushing the kitchen out into the dining room, pushing it a foot or two wider and improving her interaction with my grandmother.

Sue also wants to replace the wall between the living and family rooms with columns so that the rooms work together and replace the paneling with paint. That way, both areas can be used and Jeannie can enjoy the music that gives her so much joy without thinking she's alone.

Anyway, I'll be following along, hoping she'll be able to do the bulk of her plans. Someone like Jeannie, who raised twelve children, including two adoptees, deserves a happy and harmonious environment where she knows Sue's there for her. And Sue deserves a beautiful kitchen where she can comfortably work.

I'll let you know how it goes.

If you have any ideas, I'll be happy to pass them along.

4 comments:

  • Kathy
     

    What a beautiful thing your aunt is doing. Having more room for interaction would make a huge difference and generally make it easier to move about. I hope all that work can be done without too much cost and aggravation. I used to live in a house with a kitchen that had turquoise countertops and a pink double sink! Ugly as sin. If we had stayed there longer, a remodel was in our future.

  • flit
     

    Thanks for the links ... I'm glad I didn't let you down ... will continue with the SEO stuff sometime this week, still.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    Okay, I have a question. And it's in regard to parenting...

    How do many parents go wrong in making their children responsible adults (even from a young age), and what specific things can I do as a parent to help my two kids learn to make that transition to adulthood (trust their own opinions, make their own decisions, think of others, admit when they are wrong, learn the value of money, etc.)?

    It's a long, involved question, but even if you could address a little of it, I'd have some other intelligent person's input. Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in fearing what will happen to my kids if they grow up to be narcissistic adults content to sponge off everyone.

  • Quadmama
     

    Welcome back. I hope your aunt gets the kitchen she deserves!

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations