For Dr. Burst: Making the Most Out of Professional Organizations

>> Sunday, April 5, 2009

Logo for AIAADrBurst asked: Anyway, I have a question. I joined the AIAA, now I want to become an active member and use my membership to the fullest. How do I do this? Does being an undergrad change things?

Here at “Ask Me Anything”, we love questions, even those questions we just don’t know the answer to. Like this one. See, I’ve never really been a member of AAIA (the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics). Weird, hunh? Yeah, in general, I’m not a joiner.

I was once a member right before I left college because I was entered into one of their design competitions . But, aside from the competition, I didn’t really take advantage of that membership. The good news is, though, that, according to their website, they have lots of activities geared to you , the aeronautical student like student conferences , student journal , student branches and even scholarships . I would definitely check out that branch of their website and look at what’s available to you. Conferences are a big deal in the professional world of aerospace and you can get your feed wet in these student conferences. The professional conferences tend to be very expensive.

But something their membership also allows you are access to a number of professional journals . If you’re wanting to get a head start on the “real world,” reading some of these journals would be a great way to keep up with the latest on a number of topics. If you can swing it, attending a conference on a topic that interests you is a great way to hear some of the coolest topics, meet contractors that are big in this business and make contacts.

Logo for IAASS Actually, I only have a professional membeship in the IAASS (the International Association for the Advancement of Space Safet) and have attended all of their conferences to date. As a professional, I’ve really appreciated the interaction with professionals from all over the world. The AIAA conferences can provide the same sort of benefits on subjects that interest you.

Wish I could give you more, DrBurst. You’re already way ahead of where I was at your age. Good luck!

4 Responses to “Making the Most of Professional Organizations”

  1. Aron Sora (formally DrBurst)on 29 Mar 2009 at 4:50 pm edit this

    Thank you for the ideas, I stumbled upon the AIAA after I keep seeing them in my research. I had to join after looking at the organization; I only joined by luck. You really helped me, I had no idea what to do with the opportunity.

    Even better (but it makes me even more overwhelmed) most conferences are free for undergrads. Thank you for your tips, this whole professional world is overwhelming to start in. There is just so much mouth watering stuff like IAASS which I just learned about.

  2. Mikeon 31 Mar 2009 at 8:57 pm edit this

    Thanks for sharing, I will have to check out these organizations. I had seen the AAIA on another blog. Is it AAIA or is it AIAA - maybe there are two. Also, I am trying out blogexplosion and that is how I came into your site this evening instead of through Entrecard. Does this show in your stats as a vist from blogexplosion?

  3. stephanieebarron 31 Mar 2009 at 9:10 pm edit this

    I cut and paste their AIAA logo, so I’m pretty sure I got it correct. I did have to think about it, though, since I’m acronym challenged.

    There is an AAIA associated with the automotive industry and one on “American Indian Affairs.”

    It probably does show as BE. Glad to find you again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations